SOME EXAMPLES OF THE MORE COMMON TYPES OF PERSONAL INFORMATION MAY INCLUDE:
- Physical address;
- Phone number.
Our unique questionnaire will allow you to mold at least the following aspects, and alot more, to suit your website’s needs:
- Who you and your business are, as well as such contact details required by the ECT Act;
- Specify what personal information you collect;
- Specify what you do with such personal information;
- Specify whether you collect payments on your website, and if such payment details are retained; and
- Specify whether you allow others to advertise on your website.
THE PROTECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION ACT
The collection, usage and sharing, of personal information is regulated primarily by the Protection of Personal Information Act 4 of 2013 (the “Act”). The Act has only recently been promulgated and is still in the process of being implemented.
Once the primary enforcement arm contemplated by the Act, the Information Regulator, is appointed, all website owners and/or administrators will be required to register with it, in order to make public what Personal Information is being collected, and what it is being used for.
The Information Regulator will be empowered to enforce compliance with the Act, including lashings*, and the ability to conduct investigations in order to ascertain whether a website is lawfully processing a user’s Personal Information.
WHAT ARE THE CONSEQUENCES IF THE PROTECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION ACT IS NOT COMPLIED WITH?
Failure to comply with the Act by website owners and/or administrators may, in certain circumstances, result in criminal sanctions, penalties, and/or liability for damages and lashings, lots of lashings*
*Not really- there will be no lashings.